You evil woman

Monday, November 29, 2010

MAMA!!

Haha no I am not calling out to my mother! I am referring to Mnet Asian Music Awards (in short MAMA. what a cool acronym!) that was aired on channel U yesterday! Please be warned that for the whole of this post, I am going to rant/fangirl about the MAMA, so for non kpop fans, I think you might be bored with what I am going to write for the next few paragraphs. You might even want to consider skip reading this post haha

Firstly, I am really grateful towards Channel U for airing the MAMA! Watching it on a local tv channel makes it feel as if the award ceremony is held right here in Singapore. haha. It wasn't the most star-studded event because there were only a few groups of singers who attended the award ceremony, and the more popular ones include 2pm, 2NE1, Miss A and Taeyang from Big Bang. The area where the singers sat only occupied a small segment, which showed how few artists turned up for the event. I think there is some feud going on between Mnet and SM Entertainment, and thus artists from SM Entertainment like Super Junior, SHINee and SNSD were absent from the award show. I felt that the award ceremony would have been more complete if SM Entertainment didn't boycott the awards show and let their artists attend. By boycotting the award ceremony, it is equivalent to ruining the chances of winning any award and this turns out to be quite true in this year's MAMA.

Coincidental enough, even though Super Junior, SHINee and SNSD have received a few nominations, there was only one winner from SM entertainment. Boa won the female singer award, but this category wasn't even shown during the TV broadcast. Hmmm I guess Mnet has their own way of fighting back too. And it is also very coincidental that most of the major awards were swept by those who attended, so I kept seeing 2pm, 2NE1 and Miss A heading on to the stage to receive the awards. I even think they have gone up the stage for so many times that they have run out of things to say during their award acceptance speech.

Anyway, I think that the highlight of the award show isn't knowing who has won what, since it could be easily guessed that those who were there would win something, thus the winners of various award category were totally predictable. If only 4D and toto were that easy to predict. Thank goodness that I had recorded the show, so I am able to fast forward most of the mundane award presentation part and this helped me save a lot of time. haha. However, I must say that I am totally awed by the special and amazing performances put by the artists on MAMA! What makes the performances so interesting to watch is because there seemed to be a storyline behind it, which is linked to the songs that the artists performed.

The first performance that left a deep impression on me was by 2pm! Their intro video featured each of the members as an emo mime performer dressed in black and white outfits, who seemed to be trapped in their own small world. During the performance, the whole place was drowned in darkness and there was a stream of white light that led the audience to each 2pm member in a small box, whereby that member would perform one of their old songs. It doesn't sound cool when I am describing it now, but if you are interested, you can watch the performance to have a feel of the coolness. haha. Their performance lasted for around 10 minutes. After seeing their performance at the MAMA, I REALLY wished that I have the tickets to catch them live on the Mnet concert happening on this Saturday in Marina Bay Sands!

My next favourite performance is by 2NE1! I am rather biased with this choice because I have been anticipating their performance since the beginning of the award ceremony. I am loving their new songs and they happened to perform the songs that I like! Their infectious hits like 'Clap your hands' and 'Can't nobody' totally brought down the house and temporarily turned the award ceremony into a dance party!

Next performance is my ABSOLUTE ULTIMATE FAVOURITE because the performance was loaded with suspense and surprises! (Though I disapprove of the violence because there were guns, but of course fake ones lah! ). In my (very biased) opinion, this HAS TO BE the most exciting and dramatic part of the entire award ceremony. This performance started with Big Bang's Taeyang performing his song 'I need a girl' when he invited 2NE1's Sandara Park to dance with him. When the song ended, suddenly there was a gun shot (fake one lah) and Sandara Park collapsed in Taeyang's arms. At that moment, I could feel that the live audience fell into silence. Then attention was turned to another part of the stage when the screen lighted up and the whole place was filled with clock ticking sounds. One hooded figure came out from behind the screen. At that point in time, I already felt excited because I have no idea who that was and was wondering how the performance would continue from there since the (fake) death of Sandara Park. As I was watching intently, I heard a 'HEY!' emerged from the clock ticking sounds, which sounded like the beginning of a very familiar song. Then suddenly it chanced upon me that the song is a solo single from one of the big bang members, TOP, and TOP is a surprise performer!!! Haha if I were there live, I would totally scream my lungs out because this is so unexpected! WHAT'S MORE AWESOME is that after TOP's performance, G-Dragon (big bang leader) came out to perform!!!!! Double surprise!! Both TOP and GD performed their song new collaboration. And that's not all. Taeyang came out again to perform with TOP and GD another of their song! The entire performance lasted around 15 mins and it was 15 mins of epic performance. TOTALLY LOVE IT!

A video is more than a thousand words. You can watch the big bang performance video here!

Every vacation is a chance for me to fangirl my favourite Korean boybands! haha. You can expect more fangirling from me during this holiday!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home