You evil woman

Saturday, June 12, 2010

World Cup!

The World Cup is here again! Haha finally I am posting something else other than Kpop! Wah I can't believe it has already been 4 years! I still remember vividly that the last World Cup was aired during the June holidays in 2006, when I was still a J1 student. We were supposed to make use of the June holidays to study for the Common Test which took place right after the June holidays, but instead of focusing on books, I was following most of the World Cup matches. Haha. I remember during that period, I became a fangirl of soccer players such as Kaka from Brazil, Ronaldo from Portugal and Torres from Spain! I was crazy about them to the extent of even searching pictures of them from newspapers and cut them out! But after the World Cup ended, my affection for them also faded away. haha.

I don't take great interest in normal soccer events such as EPL or whatever league there is, but when it comes to World Cup, it has some sort of attraction to me. I guess it's because during this World Cup period, I am constantly surrounded by extensive news reports about the World Cup matches such that I feel the need to pay some attention to it. (especially during this period, my brother will faithfully buy The New Paper to read about the matches) Actually I think I am watching the soccer matches on a very shallow level. I don't read the details or analysis about the soccer matches provided by newspapers, because I don't think I won't be able to understand (the soccer terms, soccer player position, the player formation etc). I merely flip the newspapers for pictures of my favourite soccer players. So shallow of me right! HAHA

In addition, World Cup is also a great time for advertising! I love to see international soccer stars being featured in commercials, in which they would display their superb soccer skills that will somehow be linked to the products they are promoting for. For example, I remember that during the 2006 World Cup, my mother LOVEEE this Pepsi commercial that always appeared on tv during that period. She thought that the advertisement was very cute haha. I must say that I am amazed how Pepsi managed to rope in so many top soccer celebrities to be in this commercial!



Another star-studded advertisement that I always looked out for on tv during the 2006 World Cup was the Adidas commercial! This is my favourite advertisement during that period! It is about this 2 Spanish Kids, Jose and Pedro, having nothing to do on this hot, boring afternoon, that they decided to form their own dream soccer team to compete with each other. Of course, this is from their own imagination! I love the part when the 2 boys started calling out the names of the soccer players that will be playing for their sides and then the soccer players would jog out from behind. The 2 boys act like they are the managers of their team, giving instructions to players and being in control of the game. Haha. There is a 2nd part to this advertisement in which the actual match takes place. This advertisement has a very witty ending! You can watch the advertisement here.



The next advertisement that I would like to share is not filmed specially for the World Cup, but it is a very cool advertisement featuring Ronaldo and another player called Zlatan. He is not someone that I am familiar with, but apparently he is a very skilled player. I think the music for the advertisement just made it look double cool haha.



Anyway, I don't feel the intense fever of World Cup for this year as compared to the previous World Cup. I think it's most probably because my brothers didn't subscribe to the World Cup package this year, which also means I don't have access to the World Cup matches. Thanks to Pav's recommendation of eplsite.com, just now I tried to watch live streaming of the Korea vs Greece match (which by the way Korea won 2-0 yayy!), but the satisfaction of watching a soccer match from the small computer screen is not as great as watching from a tv where I can lie comfortably on my sofa. Plus, I don't find it very fun and exciting to watch the matches ALONE. Haha. I find myself yawning a lot while watching the match and my eyeballs are tired following where the ball is (perhaps the reason why I am feeling this is because I had a korean drama marathon starting from this morning! KO MI NAM!)

Haha ok I am ending here! Gotta work for the next 2 days!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home