You evil woman

Sunday, April 18, 2010

My korean adventure!

Haha new post here! I am updating my blog with a new post because I want to emphasize the fact that my blog is still alive and kicking and I AM NOT DELETING MY BLOG. THAT was an April Fools' joke OK!! So somebody hor (Ehh I shall not name you, you know who you are right!), please link back my blog again! HAHAHA. Another good thing about a new post is also to move down that April Fools' post so that each time you (referring to those who got fooled) come to my blog, the April Fools post won't be the first thing that you see, and you won't be reminded of the painful memories of getting pranked by me! HAHA. Ok let's bury the hatchet and make peace with each other!! Or you can get back at me next year April Fools' day! HAHA.

Ok moving on to the real topic! As the title reads, I had a one day Korean culture adventure last Friday! Ok it's not really the full one day; actually it's only half a day. But that few hours is like the happiest moments for this week! (In the midst of all this preparation-for-exams gloom. Blehhh)

My Korean culture affair began with a lunch at a Korean restaurant. Together with my friend and her two sisters, we went to have lunch at a Korean restaurant called Kim's Family restaurant. My friend's sister is currently working there as a waitress, so on that day before she started working, she took us there to eat. The restaurant is located at Lorong Kilat and this street is like a little Korea because other than 2 Korean restaurants , there is also a Korean supermarket called Lotte Mart located there.

This can be considered a milestone for my life because this marked my first time stepping into a Korean restaurant, eating genuine Korean food! I FINALLY GET TO TASTE the type of food that I always see on Korean shows. IT'S LIKE A DREAM COME TRUE! Ok, a picture is worth a thousand words. I will take you through my whole Korean cultural experience with pictures!


When I stepped into the restaurant, this was what I saw on the right hand side. The 'S' of the KIMS is crooked; I don't know if this is meant to be artistic or it has any meaning to it. BUT, what really caught my attention is the countless scribblings on the wall! Normally, restaurants are very particular with having a clean image, so if there is a single pencil mark on the wall, I think the managers of the restaurant would immediately bring out any detergent to get rid of the mark. But it's totally different for this restaurant! I was like "Wah, they actually allow customers to vandalise their walls!"


More scribblings!

On closer inspection, other than compliments for the wonderful food that the restaurant serves, there are of course fangirls' rantings for their favourite Korean idols! This is a rare opportunity to openly declare their love for their idols by writing on a wall and not getting into trouble with the law. And you never know. One day that Korean idol might step into that restaurant and see the message you left for him or them! Haha. Anyway, I think it's a very special way to leave your mark and perhaps on the next visit to the restaurant, you can still find your message there!

I took some pictures of the fangirls' (or fanboys?) writings that I can very much relate to:


I don't really get what the person is drawing here. The bottom pic looks like a superman on top of a mountain?


Haha I think the person is trying to rank his/her fav idol here, but I think the 3rd and 5th refer to the same group? Haha


Kpop stars fighting for space






Ehh haha I am amused by the cow!




The 4 characters refer to Dong Bang Shin Ki (DBSK)! Sadly, I think because of some contract problems and lawsuit involved, they are on the verge of breaking up.


Yea Suju!

Aiyah sadly, I didn't grab this chance to write anything on the wall. BUT I WILL BE BACK! For my next visit, I will bring a super thick fat gigantic black marker to write my message, so that my message will stand out distinctively among all these tiny scribblings. HAHA.

Here comes the food part! Actually I didn't take very long to choose what to eat because I had already set my mind on eating bibimbap, which is the korean mixed rice. My friend and her sisters ordered Korean black bean paste noodle, one soup, a plate of stir fried chicken as well as spring onion pancake. Because my friend's sister is working there, and the boss's daughter said that she was a very good employee, she said she would give us a free plate of spicy rice cake. How shiok is that!!! I was very excited at the prospect of eating all these dishes because they always appear on tv and now they were about to be served in front of me!

Not long after we had placed with our order, the waitress came out again with many bowls of side dishes and put them on our table. I turned to my friend, (I think with a very blur look on my face) and asked, "Did we order all these?" She explained to me that all these side dishes would be served to customers once they placed an order. There were at least 8-9 side dishes being served and all of them are FREE OF CHARGE. Double shiokness! Our table became quite full, and our main dishes were not even here yet.

And I am very impressed with the efficient service! After the side dishes were served (and I had barely started eating the side dishes), all the other main dishes came along as well.


So many side dishes! It's my first time eating some of them and I love them all!


This is my favourite side dish! I asked my friend what this is and she said it's squid. It's raw but if eat with the sauce, everything taste great!


My next favourite side dish! It's actually tofu but the sauce is super yummy.


I didn't get to taste this side dish but I think its also tofu. AND I LOVE TO USE THE LONG METAL CHOPSTICKS!!


Stir fried chicken. Haha this is my friend's sister fav dish! It looks very spicy but actually it's not.


This is the black bean paste noodle! I first knew about this dish when I watched the Korean drama 'The 1st shop of Coffee Prince'. From what I vaguely remember, there was a scene where Yoo Eun Hye was in a eating competition with some other guy, and the food they ate was this black bean paste noodle. Haha.


The dish I looked most forward to: Spring Onion Pancake!! Actually if you eat it without the sauce, it will taste a bit bland. But overall, it's crispy and a lot of fillings inside!! As I look at the picture now, I am salivating!


Spicy rice cake! This is a popular road stall snack. The rice cake is VERY chewy and the sauce is a mixture of sweet and spicy. NICE!


My Bibimbap in a stone bowl! I have eaten bibimbap for many times and this is my first time eating it from a stone bowl! And the mushrooms served were big and super juicy!! I almost choked on my first bite of the mushroom because the juice spilled out without warning.

You can see the table getting more full as you scroll down.










The table is so full that we have to stack up the side dishes!! Haha! This is really what it means by 'A tableful of food'

With SO MANY FOOD waiting for us to finish, I think we were all busy eating and didn't talk much. HAHA. By the time we were done eating, my stomach felt super full and it was as if I had eaten my share for dinner as well! And when we asked for the bill, everything costs only $44! That means $11 per person FOR SO MUCH FOOD! NICE FOOD!! Where on earth can you find such good and cheap Korean food? And I am very thankful for being able to experience the warm service provided!


Before I left, I took this very cute wooden thingy saying hello and thank you in Korean! Korean characters are so cute!!

After we left the restaurant, we felt really full so we decided to walk around to digest a bit, so we stepped into the Korean supermarket which is just few steps away. I was admiring and trying to read the words off the packets. And when I stepped into the snack section, I MADE A HUGE AMAZING DISCOVERY: The Ottogi Snack that SHINee endorsed!!!!!!!

I knew the scream was coming and I tried to stifle the scream but it came out unconsciously! My friend was shocked by my scream and hurried towards me. She laughed when she saw me holding onto the snack with SHINee on it. This is just plain awesome!!! Luckily we decided to enter the supermarket or else I would have missed SHINee!!! Haha. Actually I have seen this being sold online for $3, and at comics connection for $5, which to me, for a snack is bleddy expensive. And guess what, it's only sold for $1.40 there!!!! So you can imagine how excited I was! I bought all 3 packets of snack (sadly there is no Taemin) for $4.20.






WOOHOO MY FAVOURITE PACKET!

I didn't dare to put them in the food cabinet in the kitchen because if my brother found these, it will be total gone case. He would just be interested in the food and dump the packet away in the rubbish bin, which I will go crazy if that really happens! I can't bear to open the snack yet. Haha.

Anyway, that Friday was a FUN-TASTIC day! First I got to eat Korean food at a super good price and now I got SHINee snack!! This is definitely an unforgettable experience that will etch deeply in my mind!

OK ah linggggggg you go A LOT OF THINGS TO STUDY!!! PLEASE RESIST TEMPTATION for this time being!!!!!! Control control control!!!! Ok jiayou everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't slack like me!! OMGOMGOMG

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home